General Question

Jeruba's avatar

How much of a hassle is it to change your name on your social security card?

Asked by Jeruba (55852points) March 10th, 2019
7 responses
“Great Question” (1points)

I’d like to change the way my name appears on my SS account, making it consistent with my other personal and legal documents, but I don’t want to open a can of worms.

Have you ever done this? If so, how recently, and how much of a headache did it turn out to be?

Observing members: 0
Composing members: 0


LadyMarissa's avatar

It’s been a while since I had to do it. With the appropriate documentation, it wasn’t difficult at all!!! I just had to provide them with my marriage license & a copy of my old SS card. Since everybody is security conscience now days, it may be a little more difficult. Do you have a local Social Security office in your area??? IF you do, you can probably take in your documentation & handle it before you leave. They will mail your card to you either way. Have you checked their website to see what they currently require???

janbb's avatar

I’m pretty sure I changed mine back to my birth name after my divorce. It was not a big hassle. As @LadyMarissa says, you can look up what documentation you need and go in to a local office to apply for the change.

JLeslie's avatar

Going to the social security office to make the change usually isn’t much of a hassle at all assuming you have all the documents you need. I think you can make an appointment if you want. I’m almost positive I made an appointment for my FIL. If you call to make an appointment you can make sure you have all the documents needed. It sounds to me like you most likely have everything you need.

The only time I’ve used my SS card in many many years was to get a new drivers license, because of the state changes due to the airline security regulations. Otherwise, I never use it for anything, not for 30 years or more, but I keep my passport up to date. I don’t even know off the top of my head if it has my middle name spelled out or not.

cookieman's avatar

We just did it a while ago for my daughter. Complete some paperwork. Wait in line at the social security office. Ta Daa.

Dutchess_III's avatar

Does your birth certificate have the right information on it?

Dutchess_III's avatar

The SS office has Rick’s birth year wrong. For him to change it he has to physically go into a branch office with his birth certificate. He hasn’t gotten around to it yet.

But I’ve change my last name twice now. It’s a bit of a bother, but not too bad. I did’t have to physically go in. I just had to show (email or fax) a marriage certificate.
If your BC has the right info that should be all you really need. They’ll probably take an email or a fax of it.

Response moderated (Spam)

Answer this question




to answer.

Mobile | Desktop

Send Feedback