Social Question

RedDeerGuy1's avatar

What is the name of the "squeek" when playing the guitar?

Asked by RedDeerGuy1 (24329points) April 5th, 2020
4 responses
“Great Question” (2points)

Is it desirable to hear it?

Topics: ,
Observing members: 0
Composing members: 0


kritiper's avatar

Basically, it is the unintentional sounds that are made by the fingers repositioning themselves on the strings when the player changes chords or notes.

ARE_you_kidding_me's avatar

Artificial and/or “pinch” harmonics make that squeal. It’s actually included in some musical notation.

snowberry's avatar

Roy Clark never played with the squeak. I think it would be a lot easier to play guitar with a squeak than without it.

kritiper's avatar

It depends as well on the texture/composition of the strings. A smooth string (like Nylon) would make little sound while a wrapped string (like steel) would be more apt to make noise.

Answer this question




to answer.

Mobile | Desktop

Send Feedback