Social Question

JLeslie's avatar

Has anyone heard of getting a Moderna Bivalent 100mcg dose?

Asked by JLeslie (65202points) October 7th, 2022
9 responses
“Great Question” (0points)

I looked up the insert for the bivalent booster, and the dosage recommendation is .5 mcg. Here is a fact sheet

A friend of mine was told since it has been 6 months since her last booster (she had 4 total shots so far) and she is high risk with several health risk factors, that she can get a “full dose.” So, I am thinking that means 1.0 mcg. As far as I know adults are not being given .25, and the original dosage for the first two shots in the series of the monovalent is 100.

Have you heard of people getting a 100 mcg dose of the bivalent? If so, in what circumstances is it advised?

I don’t know if she misunderstood and the person giving her the shot told her she is getting a full dose, which actually means .5, or if the woman meant she would double it.

Observing members: 0
Composing members: 0


Hawaii_Jake's avatar

I think you might want to check your numbers.

100mcg = 0.1mg

Which means that 0.5mcg = 0.0005mg (That’s miniscule.)

JLeslie's avatar

I think the link didn’t work, here is a different link, I liked the other one much better.

@Hawaii_Jake Thanks! 50 mcg (.5mL). I had it right in the title question and messed it up below. I’ll try to fix it. Doing too many things at once.

Caravanfan's avatar

I have no idea what the recommended dose is. I just went to the pharmacy and rolled up my sleeve.

janbb's avatar

Since I’m still testing positive from my second bout of Covid, I’m still trying to figure out when to roll up my sleeve!

JLeslie's avatar

I’m not asking for myself, I’m going to get the standard dose, the .5mL. I just want to make sure my friend isn’t being given a double dose. She keeps saying she is immunocompromised, but she isn’t, she’s high risk, it’s two different things, she doesn’t understand the difference. The only thing making her possibly immunocompromised is being over age 60.

The 3rd shot (1st booster) was 1.0 mL for immunocompromised and .5mL for everyone else.

@janbb I thought it was wait at least 2 months after symptoms for the shot? Are you still feeling sick? If you’re unsure just wait a little longer and wear a mask more. I assume you haven’t been wearing a mask consistently (no judgement I’m not consistent myself). I still think a mask is the best way to avoid catching covid, unless maybe this bivalent actually works better than the monovalent, I hope so.

janbb's avatar

@JLeslie I’ve heard anything from one month from the pharmacist to three months from the doctor.

JLeslie's avatar

There was no testing done for efficacy on humans before the release of the new bivalent. Now, there might be data coming out.

Who knows if they are tracking for the type of recommendation you are looking for. They won’t care if they don’t see serous side effects from taking the shot too soon. Do no harm is the primary objective both ethically and to not be sued.

I still say mask up! I was just at Biltmore in NC, and my husband and I were two of the very few out of thousands of people (although certainly not the only ones) wearing masks on the buses and indoors.

janbb's avatar

@JLeslie I’m not worried about serious side effects. My concern is that it won’t be effective if taken too soon. Anyway, I plan to keep investigating.

JLeslie's avatar

CDC says wait 3 months.

This article says 3 months results in possible better immunity

I cannot find on the CDC website where it says waiting 3 months results in most likely getting better immunity, but the guidance on the CDC website is to wait 3 months. Maybe you will find it.

When I read both links, the first article it sounds like an interpretation by a doctor that it results in better immunity if you wait, which might be completely incorrect. The article says it is reasonable to assume someone has spiked immunity after being sick, so that person can wait to get the vaccine.

I would wait, but I did not get my 4th shot waiting for the bivalent to be approved, so I am more inclined to wait, while you seem inclined to get a booster as soon as you can as long as the efficacy should be good.

Answer this question




to answer.

Mobile | Desktop

Send Feedback