General Question

bellabella's avatar

Is it ok to spend more then six months in a year outside of the USA for a legal reisident before applying for a citizenship? I know one trip cannot be longer than six months, but what about several short trips?

Asked by bellabella (9points) May 9th, 2009
7 responses
“Great Question” (0points)

I need to be in another country.

Observing members: 0
Composing members: 0


jca's avatar

isn’t there a government website you can check – i’m’ sure you’re not the first with this dilemma. you know all this offiicial stuff is in writing somewhere so it’s clear.

jca (36054points)“Great Answer” (1points)
bezdomnaya's avatar

According to the USCIS website

Residence and Physical Presence

An applicant is eligible to file if, immediately preceding the filing of the application, he or she:

has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence (see preceding section);
has resided continuously as a lawful permanent resident in the U.S. for at least 5 years prior to filing with no single absence from the United States of more than one year;
has been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the previous five years (absences of more than six months but less than one year shall disrupt the applicant’s continuity of residence unless the applicant can establish that he or she did not abandon his or her residence during such period)
has resided within a state or district for at least three months

FrankHebusSmith's avatar

I don’t think you have to worry about the US rules. I’m pretty sure you’ll be a citizen here regardless. You should probably be looking into the country where you’re going and their rules about visiting for longer than such and such period of time.

bezdomnaya's avatar

@westy81585 Being someone who has just recently gone through the citizenship application process, it does actually matter quite a bit. The citizenship application process is costly, time consuming, and very strict. They can also deny you for any reason they see fit.

@ bellabella I think, according to the link I posted above, you will be fine to leave for a cumulative time of more than 6 months, as long as you periodically return to the US. It would help to use a friend’s/parent’s address as your residence for that time period if you will not be keeping a house or apartment for that period of time.

FrankHebusSmith's avatar

@bezdomnaya I’m under the impression they are currently a US citizen, and are worried about losing the citizenship by being out of the country too long?

jca's avatar

westy: no, i don’t think they’re a citizen -read again: “for a legal resident before applying for a citizenship.”

jca (36054points)“Great Answer” (0points)
bellabella's avatar

Thank you all.

Answer this question




to answer.

Mobile | Desktop

Send Feedback